Friday, August 03, 2007

Just some musings on life...

It's been another crazy week. So much has transpired but I am unable to fully describe the turn of events of this period. I will try my best to do so though.

Life is but a vapour, a wisp that dances before your eyes and is gone the next moment. The decades may seem to stretch for eternity, but each decade is no more than a grain of sand in the hourglass of time. As soon as a toddler is able to get on his feet and peer beyond the constrains of his cradle, he should be able to catch a glimpse of his grave on the horizons, complete with a tombstone etched with his name. I'm not being fatalistic, I'm staring at reality undistorted. Hence, in light of the brevity of life, do be sure that the choices you make now are the ones that you will not look back someday with regret.

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser" - John W. Gardner

You can never be sure of your tomorrows, for what if...


...you fell through that hole in the roof...


... and splattered five storeys onto the concrete below?

Because it did happen to someone in my hostel yesterday. It occurred at the block next to mine. I'm not joking, take a closer look at the picture above. The brownish stain is actually blood and the debris around it are roof fragments. I do not know if the guy who fell through survived, but circulating rumours say otherwise. I am not surprised. It would take a miracle to survive such a fall.

Besides that, what happened?

I am emotionally spent. The events of the preceding weeks have left me drained and my focus has been disrupted. I find myself staring blankly into the thin air at times, my thoughts raging in the midst of an imagined war zone. My actions during the course of this period have definitely been out of character, to the point that I surprise myself at times. What happened to the usually soft-spoken, cheerful and friendly dude? It is at times like this that I am forced to consider the possibility that I still have undiscovered triggers bidding its time to be detonated.

I should not be surprised though. After all, I received a lashing out from someone whom I never thought of as capable of doing so several days ago. It shocked me, not because of its severity, but because I always perceived the person to be extremely patient, nice, friendly, etc.. you get the picture. My heinous crime that earned me such a lashing was nothing more than to call a spade a spade after all. It looks like people don't seem to enjoy the truth being stated, be it tactful or bluntly. In fact, if it had been anyone else, I would not have been surprised, but seeing it from this person is something new. I think I may need a lesson in diplomacy.

I may have been walking around portraying my usual calm and stoical self to the world but no one has had a glimpse of the firestorm raging within. Now that the inferno of indignation has consumed itself completely, I am left to contemplate with its remnants. A fire is not solely an agent of destruction; it is also an agent of refinement. It consumes; it purifies. Whether I am consumed or purified remains to be seen…

No comments: