Saturday, March 10, 2007

Just got back from a better than usual outing with a bunch of guys. That's another story which I'll post up tomorrow. Trust me, its that unusual to merit a post of its own. :)

I'll refrain from my usual ranting. No, I don't want it to be my trademark. I'll post up some food for thought tonight. Ok, here it goes:

For years I've been pondering ethics and its relations in our daily lives. My recent studies in Philosophy and Theology classes have not only reignited this internal debate, but intensified it. In essence, it can be summed up with a deceptively simple question ; Why do I do good? After much deliberation and exploration of new and existing theories, this is a non-exhaustive list that I've drawn up :

1. Altruistic Egoism - Help others and be nice so that they are indebted to you. Hence, they will be obliged to return the favor eventually. Utilized to forge critical social ties.
2. Cultural Shaping - Societal norms require that we conform to aiding one another. The unwritten laws of certain societies promote good works as the ultimate virtue.
3. Inherent Trait - "Some people are born that way". A commonly heard phrase which denotes that goodness is hardwired into individuals, albeit the (apparent) unequal distribution among humans. Doing good comes as second, if not first nature to such individuals.
4. Uncaused Goodness - I am good because it is good to be good. Viewing the act of doing good as an obligation regardless if it provides any foreseeable rewards or not.

Following much soul searching, I feel that such philosophical dissections and analysing its decomposition are dehumanising. Which is not unlike taking love and scrutinising its physiological process. For instance, it is like saying that that person who has a crush on you is only undergoing a physiological process which involves changes the endoctrinal and nervous system. Kills the fun in it, despite the ringing truth, doesn't it? Likewise, I have decided not to pursue my initial question further from this particular philosophical aspect. I do not want the cold unfeeling heart of a stereotype scientist. It is such mysteries that bestow abstraction and beauty to life.

However, that is not to say that my question goes unanswered. On the contrary, I came across the answer one day recently, which put my questions to rest. As a Christian, I have come to the conclusion that I (should) do good because I (should) have God's love overflowing out of me.
It was God that reached out to us first, as indicated in John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." I have come to the realization that it is from this love stems all good, further evidenced by Paul in 1 Corinthians 13.

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Henceforth, from a Christian's perspective we do good out of love. Love for God, love for humankind and not for any other reason. I don't know why I never realized this so long ago. Forgive me, Lord.

:)

No comments: